California Federal Court Litigation Firm Brings Claims for Their Clients
Dedicated Ojai lawyer provides court counsel for civil plaintiffs in United States courts
Since most civil lawsuits are handled in state courts, the majority of practicing attorneys never even enter federal court. If you are involved in a dispute where federal jurisdiction applies or a federal case has been brought, you need an attorney who is more than simply acquainted with federal law and federal rules of procedure. At Garrison Law Corporation, our attorney serves clients in the Ojai area and throughout California and litigates cases in the federal court system. We understand the many nuances, advantages and disadvantages of federal court, and our attorney is prepared to represent you in all civil matters.
Legal advocate helps clients understand federal court jurisdiction
Not every case can go to federal court. This is because the court only has the power to hear certain cases. This power is known as jurisdiction. Federal jurisdiction can be extremely complex, but most of the civil cases that end up in federal court fall into the following categories:
- Diversity — The parties live in different states.
- Federal question — There is an issue of constitutional law or federal law that a court must rule on to decide the case.
- Suing a federal entity — The case involves the government.
- Admiralty — The dispute involves issues of maritime law arising from an incident on navigable waters.
Our attorney regularly brings federal claims on behalf of our clients.
When to choose a federal court
Some civil lawsuits can and should be filed in federal court. Federal court may offer:
- More favorable discovery rules
- Judges more experienced with complex cases
- A more neutral forum
- Favorable precedent binding on the court
- The right to jury trial for specific cases
- Speedier trial
- A broader jury pool
An experienced federal court litigator will fully explain whether your case should be filed federally or removed from the state court to the federal system.
Contact an established and successful California federal litigation law firm
To schedule a free consultation with our seasoned federal court trial attorney at Garrison Law Corporation, call 805-842-0470 or contact the firm online. Our office is conveniently located in Ojai and represents clients throughout California.